Monday, July 25, 2011

Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge Monday

Made a trip to Anahuac today with a new friend, Shirley. We had a great time. Not much in the way of birds but what we had was pretty great. We watched a Reddish Egret do his 'canopy' fishing and that was really a neat display. I had hoped for a Bittern but got neither one of them. BUT, a Wood Stork flew in. I couldn't believe it. Hopefully the picture will turn out nice. Will try to get it up tomorrow or Wednesday. We saw baby Barn Swallows, Grackles, and some neat Common Nighthawks flying around and one landed on a limb but photo wasn't in the works. RWBB (red-winged black birds) were all over as were Cattle Egrets.

On the way home, we saw a really neat new item. Rice farmers were out havesting the rice. It is harvested much like wheat. We stopped and watched them for a few minutes and Shirley walked over and pulled up some stalks for us. What a neat souvenir.

We came back to work to a new schedule and looks like I am up for 52 hours. Wrote a note to the boss man asking him what his fix was. I signed on 24 hours a week. I may well get my tail kicked out soon. Won't be the first time. But if I am going to put in those hours, I will get me a paying job. But, that isn't going to happen. I retired because I didn't want to work a bunch of hours with lots of responsibility and pressure. May have to do that again.

No comments:

Post a Comment